Yes, it is a variation of oyakodon. Sliced fresh brown mushrooms and green beans were added to make this chicken, mushrooms and eggs rice bowl.
Other than these additions, this dish was cooked like oyakodon. The only difference in the cooking procedure is that the onion slices were added last to give the dish a crispier texture overall.
But why the additional ingredients at all? I didn’t have enough chicken fillets to feed three people. But a had about a dozen green beans and a lot of fresh mushrooms.
So, why not add them to the chicken? Not only will the dish look more colorful; the added flavors and textures will make it more appetizing too.
- ¼ cup mirin
- 2 tablespoons sake
- ¼ cup light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 ½ cups dashi - (if using instant dashi, dissolve about half of the contents of a packet in 1 and ½ c. of water)
- 6 chicken thigh fillets - (I like to keep the skin on but you can remove it), cut into slices about a quarter inch thick
- 3/4 cup green beans - sliced
- 1 ½ cups sliced button mushrooms
- 6 whole eggs - lightly stirred (not beaten)
- 1 large onion - thinly sliced
- thinly sliced scallions - to garnish
- Pour the mirin and sake into a wok or frying pan. Bring to the boil. The initial boiling should remove much of the alcohol taste in the mirin and sake.
- Pour in the dashi and soy sauce. Add the sugar. Allow to reach boiling point.
- Spread the sliced chicken in the broth. Bring to the boil.
- Lower the heat to medium and cook (uncovered to reduce and concentrate the sauce) for five minutes.
- Spread the green beans and mushrooms over the chicken. Cook for five to seven minutes.
- Pour the stirred eggs over the chicken. Do this in a circular motion so that the eggs are spread evenly. Sprinkle the onion sliced over the eggs and chicken. Stir lightly.
- When the eggs turn firm along the edges, turn off the heat. Allow the eggs to cook for a minute in the residual heat. This ensures they won’t get overcooked.
- Scoop the chicken, mushrooms and egg over cooked rice.
- Serve the chicken, mushrooms and eggs rice bowl immediately.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.