The dish molded fried rice wrapped in egg served with sesame seed dressing and chili oil. The fried rice includes mock fish fillets, a processed soya meat substitute available at vegetarian food stores, cut into small cubes. Fried tofu may be substituted.
The garnishes are roasted chili, fried garlic bits and scallions. The sesame seed dressing is a salad dressing but we discovered that it goes so well with a lot of other dishes. The chili oil is the oil component in a jar of roasted chilis in oil. Both are available in the Asian aisle of better supermarkets and groceries.
For those who don’t read the text before the recipe, too bad that you’ll miss the information about the meat substitute, sesame seed salad dressing and the chili oil.
Ovo-vegetarian omelet rice
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup meat substitute (or fried tofu), cut into small cubes
- 2 teaspoons of fried garlic bits
- 1 stalk lemongrass thinly sliced
- 1 to 2 bird's eye chilis chopped
- 4 stalks of scallions thinly sliced
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup cooked rice
- sesame oil dressing
- roasted chili in oil
- thinly sliced scallions
- Heat half of the cooking oil in a pan.
- Beat the egg with a pinch of salt and pepper. Pour into the pan. Swirl the pan so that the egg spreads to make a very thin omelet.
- Lift the cooked egg with a wide spatula and transfer to a sheet of cling wrap.
- Holding the cling wrap by the edges, transfer to a bowl. Gently push to fit the shape of the bowl.
- Heat the remaining oil. Stir fry the meat substitute (if using tofu you'll have to season with salt and pepper). When browned, add half of the fried garlic, lemongrass, scallions and chilis. Stir fry for 30 seconds. Add the rice. Season with salt and pepper. Stir fry until the rice is heated through.
- Place the cooked fried rice into the egg-lined bowl.
- Fold the edges of the egg over the fried rice using the cling wrap to make the job easier.
- If the molded rice is unevenly shaped, lift the entire package and transfer to a smaller bowl where it fits snugly. Weigh it down with a small bowl and leave for a minute.
- Lift the cling wrap to expose the package inside. Invert to a plate. Discard the cling wrap.
- Drizzle sesame seed dressing around the omelet. Add drops of oil from the jar of roasted chilis.
- Top the omelet with a bit of roasted chilies. Sprinkle with the remaining fried garlic and scallions. Serve.