No, the pork is not cooked directly in citrus juices and honey. If it were, the pork surface would be scorched long before the meat is cooked through and tender. To cook orange lime honey pork, parboil the pork with aromatics, cool, brown in butter (or vegetable oil), add the zests, honey and juices, cook until the liquids turn syrupy then sprinkle with more zest. That’s the way it’s done. Deliciously done.
This recipe for orange lime honey pork will work well with pork fillets or a cut with bone like spare ribs. It’s that versatile. Adjust the amount depending on the cut you will use.
Orange lime honey porkPrint Pin
- 250 to 500 grams pork (depending on whether the meat has bones or not), cut into fingers about an inch thick and three inches long
- salt to taste
- 4 cloves garlic
- a whole onion
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 small carrot
- 4 tablespoons butter or vegetable oil (you may need more depending on the amount of fat in the pork)
- 4 to 6 lime zest and juice
- 2 to 4 oranges zest and juice
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup honey
- In a pot, boil about six cups of water. Add salt. Throw in the garlic, onion, peppercorns, bay leaf, celery stalk and carrot. Boil for five minutes then add the meat pieces. Stir. Boil for 10 to 15 minutes. Scoop out the meat, spread on a tray and cool.
- Heat the butter or vegetable oil in a frying pan. Brown the pork in batches until lightly browned. Add more oil with each batch if the pork does not render enough fat.
- Return all the pork in the pan.
- Reserve about half a teaspoonful each of the orange and lime zest. Add the rest to the pork. Pour in the lime and orange juices, and honey. Sprinkle with a bit more salt, if needed. Stir. Cover the pan and cook over very low heat for about 10 minutes or just until the liquids have turned syrupy.
- Turn up the heat to medium-high and cook the meat for another few minutes until the sauce is thick and coats each piece of pork generously.
- Arrange the pork on plates (or a single platter). Drizzle the syrupy sauce over them. Sprinkle the reserved zests on the meat (and some snipped greens, of you have any).
- Serve the orange lime honey pork with rice or by itself.