- Cut each okra vertically into halves.
- Peel and thinly slice the shallots.
- Cut the tomatoes into wedges.
- Heat the cooking oil in a wok or frying pan.
- Over medium-low heat, saute the sliced shallots and tomato wedges until they start to soften.
- Add the minced ginger and grated garlic, and continue sauteeing for another minute (be careful not to burn the garlic and ginger).
- Pour in a tablespoon of patis and add the black pepper.
- Continue sauteeing until most of the liquid has been soaked up.
- Turn up the heat to high and add the okra.
- Cook, stirring, just until the okra is done, about three minutes (see notes after the recipe).
- Off the heat, drizzle in the calamansi juice and toss to blend.
- Taste and add more patis and pepper, if needed.
- Serve the okra guisado immediately.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.