Inspired by a turtle bars recipe (I don’t really know the definition for turtle bars), these nuggets contain oats, nuts, chocolate, sugar, flour, butter and caramel. No eggs which should make them vegetarian-friendly. When the flour, oats, nuts, sugar and butter meld together during baking, something wonderfully crisp results. Because those crisp parts are interspersed with creamy chunks of chocolate, you get something crisp and something soft and creamy with every bite.
But that’s not all the texture you’ll get. The tops of these squares are drizzled with sticky caramel which adds another mouth feel altogether. They’re really good, all modesty aside. Oh, but wait! I am not modest so I have no modesty to put aside. They’re just really good. Very easy to make too.
Oats, nuts, chocolate and caramel squares
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Brush a 7"x11" baking pan with melted butter. Line with non-stick paper and brush the paper with melted butter as well.
- In a bowl, stir together the flour, salt, baking soda, sugar, oats, nuts and chocolate. Pour in the melted butter and stir until blended.
- Lightly press the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Drizzle the caramel on top.
- Bake at 350F for 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned and the caramel is bubbly
- Cool to room temperature without removing from the pan before cutting into squares or bars.