It’s been raining for over a week and although I am loving the cool air, the gray skies also mean no food photography in the garden. I baked these nutty revel bars several days ago and kept them in the freezer waiting for the day when the sun would peak through the dark clouds so I could take photos.
Well, almost half of the batch of revel bars have been eaten and I couldn’t wait for the sun anymore.
What revel bars are and where the may have originated is already discussed in a previous post so I won’t repeat any of that here. Just note that I added a “special ingredient” to these nutty revel bars for extra crunch. The special ingredient is Kellogg’s Krave which had been sitting in the fridge for weeks. My daughters buy breakfast cereals faster than they consume them so I thought I’d help out.
- 2 cups quick cooking oats
- 1 and 1/4 cups crushed Kellogg's Krave or other breakfast cereal (see notes after the recipe)
- 2 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 250 grams dark chocolate chopped
- 3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup butter plus 2 tablespoons, at room temperature
- 1 and 3/4 cups lightly packed light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (I used cashew)
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Line a 9"x13" baking pan with baking paper. Lightly spray the baking paper with oil.
- In a bowl, whisk together the oats, crushed cereal, flour, baking soda and salt
- In the microwave, heat the dark chocolate, condensed milk and 2 tablespoons of butter on HIGH for 30 seconds. Stir by hand until all the chocolate is melted.
- In another bowl, cream the remaining butter and sugar. Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract. Fold in the oats mixture.
- Make the bottom crust by lightly pressing 2/3 of the mixture on the bottom of the line baking pan. Sprinkle the nuts evenly over the crust then press them down lightly.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the crust. You made need to spread it with a spatula to make an even layer.
- Drop the rest of the oatmeal mixture by teaspoonfuls on top.
- Bake at 350F for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack and cool the uncut nutty revel bars in the pan completely before cutting.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.