Sticky rice seasoned a la sushi, mixed with a simple stir fry and toasted sesame seeds, then wrapped, cone-shaped, with nori sheets. Japanese-inspired, definitely. But there is none of the fish ingredients associated with Japanese rice rolls. This is vegan.
To make these rice rolls, Japanese rice is ideal. But if that’s too pricey, there is an alternative. Mix the less expensive glutinous rice (malagkit) with ordinary rice. I used a 2:1 ratio but that’s not a strict rule. You can always find a ratio that will agree more with your preferences.
- 1/2 cup glutinous rice
- 1/4 cup ordinary rice
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar (see notes after the recipe)
- a generous pinch of salt
- sesame seed oil
- 2 large shiitake mushrooms (caps only), soaked in warm water for at least 20 minutes if using dried
- 1 large red onion
- 1 large bell pepper
- 6 to 8 green beans (a.k.a. Baguio beans)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable cooking oil
- salt (I used Himalayan black salt) and pepper
- 1 teaspoon vegetarian oyster sauce
- a pinch of sugar
- 2 nori sheets
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds (I used a combination of black and white but you can use either), toasted
- Cook the rice as you ordinarily would. When done, transfer to a platter and season with the rice vinegar, salt and a drizzle of sesame seed oil. Stir.
- Prepare the stir fry. Roughly chop the mushrooms, onion and bell pepper. String the beans and cut into 1/4-inch slices.
- Heat the cooking oil. Throw in the mushrooms, bell pepper and beans. Sprinkle with a bit of salt, sugar and pepper. Stir fry just until done. DO NOT overcook. Stir in the vegetarian oyster sauce. Taste, adjust the seasonings, as needed. Stir in the sesame seed oil.
- Stir the sesame seeds into the rice. Add the rice to the mushroom and vegetable stir fry and toss to blend. Cool.
- Cut each nori sheet into quarters. Take a piece of nori sheet, form into a cone and fill with the rice mixture. Repeat until all the nori sheets have been filled.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.