For those who feel that eating dessert is polluting the body, this is dessert without the guilt. Fresh lacatan bananas smothered in mango-flavored yogurt and topped with shaved dark chocolate. Recent studies say dark chocolate does have health benefits although that’s no license to binge. A tablespoonful or two of shaved dark chocolate satisfies the craving, adds color and contrasting flavor to the sweetness of the bananas and the slight tanginess of the yogurt.
Got the idea from my daughter, Alex, who likes to stir sliced bananas into her cup of yogurt.
No-cook Banana, Yogurt and Chocolate DessertPrint Pin
- 2 fresh bananas (I prefer lacatan but latundan will do too)
- 1/2 cup mango-flavored yogurt (you can experiment with other flavors)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons shaved dark chocolate (I used a vegetable peeler)
- Peel and slice the bananas. Place on a plate or shallow bowl.
- Pour or spoon the yogurt over the bananas.
- Sprinkle the shaved chocolate on top.
- Enjoy your no-cook banana, yogurt and chocolate dessert!
The recipe above was originally published in 2009. I have an update below.
Now, here’s the really fun part and the reason why I am updating this recipe. For those of you who aren’t scared of cream… did you know that by whipping cream and cream cheese together with powdered sugar, this no-cook dessert becomes something like a fruity tiramisu?
First, read the difference between whipped cream and whipping cream. Done? You’ll understand the recipe below better.
No-cook Banana, Cream, Cheese and Chocolate DessertPrint Pin
- 4 fresh bananas , sliced into rings
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup very cold whipping cream
- 1/4 cup cream cheese , softened
- 1/4 cup sifted powdered sugar
- shaved dark chocolate , as much as you like
- Toss the bananas and lemon juice together. This prevents the bananas from discoloring. Place in a covered bowl and keep in the fridge.
- In the mixer using the whisk attachment, whip the cream until doubled in volume. Transfer to covered bowl and keep in the fridge.
- Using the paddle attachment this time, mix the cream cheese and powdered sugar until fluffy.
- Add the whipped cream, a third at a time, and fold into the cream cheese.
- Divide the bananas between two plates. Top with the whipped cream. Sprinkle shaved chocolate on top.