Fresh mussels were soaked, the beards discarded then thrown into an extremely hot oven for a minute just until the shells opened. When cool enough to handle, the empty half shells were broken off and discarded. Chunky tomato sauce was spooned over the mussels then topped with a slice of mozzarella. Grated Parmesan was liberally sprinkled over the shellfish then back into the oven they went to melt the cheeses. Mussels a la Parmigiana is the bomb. Serve as an appetizer or as finger food to go with your beverage of choice.
Mussels A La ParmigianaPrint Pin
- 1/4 kilo mussels
- 1/3 cup chunky tomato sauce
- 75 grams mozzarella thinly sliced
- Parmesan grated
- chopped parsley to garnish
- Rinse, scrub and rinse the mussels. Repeat. Soak in the fridge for several hours (see complete explanation and instructions).
- Preheat the oven to 475F.
- Drain the mussels and pull out the beard.
- Spread the cleaned mussels on a baking tray. Cook at 475F for one minute. You just want the shells to open so don't overcook them.
- Take the mussels out of the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. Leave the oven on.
- Open the mussels, break off the empty half shells and discard. If some of the flesh sticks to both sides of the shell, use a small spoon to separate the flesh sticking on the side of the shell that you're going to discard.
- Arrange the mussels on the half shell in a single layer in a clean baking tray. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Ladle a teaspoonful of tomato sauce on each mussel. Top with a slice of mozzarella. Sprinkle the mussels with grated Parmesan.
- Return the mussels into the oven and cook for one to two minutes, or until the cheeses have melted.
- Take the mussels out of the oven, transfer to a plate (or plates), sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve immediately.
If you made this dish using our recipe and would like to publish your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the recipe instructions in your own words.