Twenty-five years ago, you wouldn’t catch me having fries and beer at home on a Friday evening. Heck, you wouldn’t catch me home on a Friday evening, period. I was a law student at the time and although fries and beer were staples among my peers, we didn’t consume them at home. We’d be out painting the town red, as the saying goes. But it isn’t twenty-five years ago. It is twenty-five years later and it is my daughters’ turn to party and have fun. Although we still occasionally go out with our respective circle of friends, Speedy and I have our drinks and finger food at home more often. How else did the finger food and cocktail drinks archives grow so large? And we now add another new favorite to our list of finger food — mozzarella-topped French fries.
This is a very simple recipe but you won’t believe just how much better fries are with the addition of just a few ingredients. Gooey stringy cheese and a bit of heat from the cayenne. Oh, it’s wickedly delicious.
Of course, you have to start with perfectly cooked French fries. There is an article in the archive with detailed tips on just how to achieve that. See French fries: hand cut, home cooked. Once you’ve read through that article, you can make this mozzarella-topped French fries.
- 2 large potatoes
- shredded mozzarella cheese, as much as you like (or dare)
- Kosher salt
- powdered cayenne pepper
- chopped parsley
- Cut and fry the potatoes. Again, see French fries: hand cut, home cooked. That’s how it’s done.
- While the potatoes fry, shred the cheese if you haven’t already.
- Once the potatoes are done, drain then dump on a plate.
- Sprinkle with Kosher salt.
- Spread the mozzarella on top of the very hot fries.
- Sprinkle cayenne and parsley on the mozzarella.
- Serve at once.
- Watch the cheese melt and turn gooey, and have fun with the stringy mozzarella every time you pick a piece of potato.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 2