Like miso soup? So do we. It is great in its simplest form — with just tofu and wakame — but did you know that miso soup can be a base for so many variations? A couple of weekends ago, we passed by a Chinese deli and bought cooked and frozen dumplings. The pack of shrimp wonton had been sitting in the freezer for a couple of days before inspiration struck — why not use the wontons in a miso-based soup? And a wonderful new recipe was born. Miso soup with shrimp wonton and shiitake mushrooms.
Now, please don’t construe this recipe as a mandate that only deli-bought wontons can be used. You can make your own wontons with your choice of filling (the combination of pork and shiitake mushrooms is particularly good). Or you can even ditch the wontons and make a very vegetarian soup with tofu, vegetables and shiitake mushrooms. Think about what you like in your soup and feel free to go by your preferences. The idea behind this recipe is simply that miso soup can be a base and what goes into it… well, anything goes.
If some ingredients sound unfamiliar, please note the embedded links. You’ll find more information in the linked pages.
Miso soup with shrimp wonton and shiitake mushrooms
- Halve the shiitake mushrooms caps.
- Cut up the bok choy into smaller pieces.
- Cut the tofu into bite-size pieces.
- Peel and thinly slice the carrot.
- Boil water in a pan.
- Cook the mushrooms, tofu, carrot slices, bok choy and wonton in the boiling water, one after the other. The tofu, mushrooms and bok choy, for about two minutes. The carrot slices and wontons, for about four minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to scoop out and transfer to a plate or bowl what has already been cooked before adding the next ingredient. If the water evaporates fast before everything’s cooked, just add more, a little at a time so that the temperature does not go down so much.
- In another pot, boil six cups of water. Take a quarter cup of hot water and dissolve the miso paste in it. Turn off the heat and stir in the dashi and miso paste.
- Place all the cooked ingredients in a soup tureen and pour in the miso soup.
- Ladle the soup into bowls (make sure everyone gets a piece of everything) and enjoy your miso soup with shrimp wonton and shiitake mushrooms.