A bad, bad craving for something sweet led to the creation of these microwave chocolate chip cakes. I didn’t eat much during lunch today and, by mid-afternoon, my stomach was growling. I could have made a sandwich but I wanted something sweet. Fastest and easiest route to satisfy the craving? The microwave oven, of course.
This isn’t a fussy recipe. You just need one bowl. You don’t need an electric mixer, you don’t even need a wire whisk, a fork will do.
How long is the baking time for the microwave chocolate chip cakes? One minute and 30 seconds flat.
- 1/8 cup butter (that’s 1/8th of a 250 g. block of butter), melted
- 2 tablespoons vanilla sugar (you may optionally want to add vanilla or vanilla extract if you don’t have vanilla sugar)
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 whole egg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder (inserted at 11.56 p.m. — sorry, forgot that!)
- 2 pinches salt
- 2 pinches instant powdered coffee
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup chocolate morsels or chopped dark chocolate
- Stir the melted butter, vanilla sugar and brown sugar.
- Add the egg (it may look like there are two egg yolks in the photo but that’s just one egg that burst when I cracked the shell) and stir until smooth.
- Mix in the flour.
- Stir in the powdered coffee.
- If using chocolate morsels, just stir them in. If using a block of chocolate, roughly chop or cut into small cubes, then stir into the batter.
- Divide the batter between two microwave-safe ramekins. Microwave on HIGH, one at a time, for a minute and a half.
- Then, dig in. Oh, wait! You might want to let the microwave chocolate chip cakes cool for a minute or two before digging in. Just to make sure you don’t burn your lips and your tongue.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.