A bad, bad craving for something sweet led to the creation of these microwave chocolate chip cakes. I didn’t eat much during lunch today and, by mid-afternoon, my stomach was growling. I could have made a sandwich but I wanted something sweet. Fastest and easiest route to satisfy the craving? The microwave oven, of course.
This isn’t a fussy recipe. You just need one bowl. You don’t need an electric mixer, you don’t even need a wire whisk, a fork will do.
How long is the baking time for the microwave chocolate chip cakes? One minute and 30 seconds flat.
Microwave chocolate chip cake
- 1/8 cup butter (that’s 1/8th of a 250 g. block of butter), melted
- 2 tablespoons vanilla sugar (you may optionally want to add vanilla or vanilla extract if you don’t have vanilla sugar)
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 whole egg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder (inserted at 11.56 p.m. — sorry, forgot that!)
- 2 pinches salt
- 2 pinches instant powdered coffee
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup chocolate morsels or chopped dark chocolate
- Stir the melted butter, vanilla sugar and brown sugar.
- Add the egg (it may look like there are two egg yolks in the photo but that’s just one egg that burst when I cracked the shell) and stir until smooth.
- Mix in the flour.
- Stir in the powdered coffee.
- If using chocolate morsels, just stir them in. If using a block of chocolate, roughly chop or cut into small cubes, then stir into the batter.
- Divide the batter between two microwave-safe ramekins. Microwave on HIGH, one at a time, for a minute and a half.
- Then, dig in. Oh, wait! You might want to let the microwave chocolate chip cakes cool for a minute or two before digging in. Just to make sure you don’t burn your lips and your tongue.