Overripe bananas are best for baking banana cake. In our house, however, where bananas often disappear before they become overripe, I had to ask people not to touch the last two bananas to allow them to become overripe because I so wanted to try and make microwave banana and nut cake.
I did last Sunday. Three banana and nut cakes in mugs for Speedy, my mother and myself. None for Sam and Alex who don’t like banana cake. And because Speedy loves streusel topping, I topped two of the cakes with streusel (no streusel for my mother’s cake). Apparently, streusel topping does not get that delicate crisp texture in the microwave. The cakes are delectably moist and soft nonetheless.
Microwave banana and nut cake with streusel toppingPrint Pin
- 2 bananas very ripe
- 6 tablespoons oil (I used palm oil)
- 8 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 8 tablespoons cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 generous pinches salt
- 2 tablespoons nuts chopped (I used cashew but you can substitute whatever you prefer)
For the streusel topping
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter chilled
- Peel the bananas and mash in a bowl. Set aside.
- Beat together the oil, sugar and egg.
- Sift the cake flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg directly over the beaten oil, egg and sugar. Mix until smooth.
- Fold in the mashed bananas.
- Divide the batter among three mugs. I added nuts to two mugs only because my mother can’t have nuts. If you want nuts in all three mugs, increase the total amount to 3 tbsps. so that you have 1 tbsp. of nuts per mug. Just add and stir in.
- Mix together all the ingredients for the streusel topping.
- The mixture should be crumbly.
- Top the cake batter with the streusel topping (again, I added streusel to only two mugs).
- Bake each cake, one by one, on HIGH for 1 and 1/2 minutes. Note that if you make only two cakes using larger mugs, the cooking time would be longer, around two minutes.
- Cool the cakes for a minute or two before plunging your spoon into the mug.