If you Google “melon cocktail”, you’ll find that there are two categories. The first is an alcoholic drink; the second is a dessert. This falls under the dessert category. But while most melon cocktail desserts simply used balled melon and a sprinkle of mint leaves, this is something more. Yep, the grape syrup which I have to tell you about.
Last week we were at the grocery, Sam wanted seedless grapes so I picked a pack. The grapes weren’t too sweet — in fact, there were quite sour — and they sat in the fridge for a couple of days. Unwanted. Uneaten.
Speedy does not like food going to waste. Yesterday, he chopped the grapes, put them in a pot, added water and sugar and let everything simmer until thickened. Then, he strained the liquid and discarded the pulp. Voila! Grape syrup.
After lunch yesterday, I noticed that the melon on the kitchen island was already very ripe. I asked Speedy what he intended to make with it.
And he made this melon cocktail for dessert. He scooped the melon flesh using a small ice cream scoop (you can use an ordinary baller), dropped the melon rounds into dessert glasses, poured grape syrup over them then he topped his creation with maraschino cherry.
This fruit dessert is very easy to make and it’s so refreshingly good. The syrup adds a stickiness and richness that really transform the melon. If you don’t have grape syrup, you can use other fruit-based syrup that would go well with melon.
Melon Cocktail With Grape SyrupPrint Pin
- melon (cantaloupe), well-chilled
- grape syrup (or other fruit-flavored syrup), as much or as little as you like
- maraschino cherries to garnish (optional)
- Cut the melon in half. Scoop out the seeds with a spoon.
- Using a small ice cream scoop or a melon baller, scoop the melon flesh into balls.
- Divide the melon balls among as many glasses as you’re using.
- Pour grape syrup over the melons.
- Top with maraschino cherries, if using, and serve at once.
If you made this dish using our recipe and would like to publish your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the recipe instructions in your own words.