I’ve made mashed potatoes and squash before but not like this.
But before the recipe, a tip. If you’re going to boil the potatoes and squash in the same pot, you have to give the potatoes a head start of five to seven minutes since they require a longer cooking time to reach that mushy stage that makes them perfect for this dish.
Mashed potatoes and squash with chopped spinachPrint Pin
- Mash the potatoes and squash while still very hot. Stir in the butter until melted. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the chopped spinach, scallions and garlic.
- Pour in enough milk to reach the desired consistency. Some people prefer stiff; other prefer soft. You decide what you like. The amount of milk will determine the stiffness or softness.
- Taste again. Add more salt and pepper, as needed.
- This mashed potatoes and squash dish is a great siding for grilled or broiled meat or seafood. Or enjoy the dish by itself.