Noodles, collectively, is such a party favorite. In Asia, no birthday is ever complete without a long noodle dish which symbolizes wishes for a long life. For big gatherings, noodles serve a dual purpose. First, almost everyone loves them. Second, noodle dishes are relatively inexpensive to prepare.
This pasta dish is not among the least expensive pasta dish there is. Bacon, fresh mushrooms and asparagus don’t come cheap but, for a special occasion dish, this is not that expensive to prepare either. Just make sure that you have really good quality ingredients and you can’t go wrong.
Macaroni in cream sauce with bacon, mushrooms and asparagusPrint Pin
- 250 grams elbow macaroni (or your preferred pasta shape)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 250 grams bacon diced
- 250 grams fresh button mushrooms (I used brown but white is fine), caps and stems thinly sliced
- 250 grams baby asparagus cut into thirds
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 2 cup cream more or less
- parsley chopped
- Parmesan grated
- Cook the pasta in salted water according to package directions, undercooking it by about three to four minutes (see how to cook al dente pasta like a pro). Drain without rinsing in cold water.
- While the pasta cooks, make the sauce. Heat the butter in a frying pan. Add the diced bacon and cook until lightly browned.
- Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, for about four minutes.
- Add the asparagus. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook for half a minute.
- Pour in the cream. Stir. Sprinkle with more salt and pepper.
- When the cream starts to simmer, add the pasta, stir then turn off the heat. Don’t worry of the mixture appears soupy at this point. Cover and leave to allow the pasta to finish cooking in the hot sauce for about five to seven minutes. In that time, the pasta will absorb most of the liquid as it continues to swell in the heat.
- Taste the pasta. Add more salt and pepper, as needed.
- Sprinkle in the chopped parsley. Stir a few times.
- Serve topped with more parsley and grated Parmesan.
If you made this dish using our recipe and would like to publish your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the recipe instructions in your own words.