Much as I looooove mojito, I do like to try mixing cocktail drinks using other fruits. We’ve mixed cocktails with mango, kiwi, watermelon, passion fruit, pineapple, strawberries… Oh, yes, strawberries in cocktail drinks is a lovely idea so I made one today that is reminiscent of mojito. Similar, yes, but not quite the same.
It starts with fresh ingredients — strawberries, mint leaves and lemons. For the alcoholic component, it’s cachaça, the Brazilian spirit that is often called Brazilian rum but is actually not rum. Ice, sugar and club soda complete the drink.
I’m not a proponent of the commercialization of Valentine’s Day but if, like me, you prefer something cozy, this is a great choice.
Something like mojito but with strawberries in it
- Reserve two strawberries and a few mint leaves.
- Dice the remaining strawberries. Cut one lemon into eighths.
- Place the diced strawberries and cut lemon into a shaker. Add about two teaspoonfuls of sugar and the remaining mint leaves. Muddle everything together.
- Pour in the cachaça and shake.
- Drop a few ice cubes into two glasses.
- Cut the remaining lemon half into thin slices and drop into the glasses with the ice.
- Divide the shaken drink between the glasses (pour without straining).
- Top the drinks with enough club soda to almost fill the glasses.
- Garnish the drinks with the reserved strawberries and mint leaves.
- Serve at once.
For more red drinks (and desserts), click here.