When I am smitten by a newly-concocted sauce, I use it more than once to season a dish. I used my lemongrass chili sauce with mushrooms and tofu, stored the rest and, a few days later, used it for my lemongrass chili beef and noodles.
Yes, these photos have been sitting in my computer for a while. I postponed posting this recipe because I did not want the front page of the blog to be peppered with recipes with lemongrass chili sauce. That might have bored regular readers to death thinking there’s nothing new to learn in my blog.
But, you know, good recipes don’t deserve to stay hidden for so long. This one deserves to be celebrated and adored. Not only does it tickle the taste buds with an explosion of flavors, it makes the eyes dance too with its kaleidoscope of colors, shapes and textures.
And the best part? This lemongrass chili beef and noodles is ready in under 20 minutes, including the preparation time. For advanced cooks, make that 15 minutes or even less. That is, of course, assuming that the lemongrass chili sauce has been cooked ahead and the noodles don’t require forever to boil.
Lemongrass Chili Beef and Noodles
- Cut the beef into strips about half an inch wide.
- Place the beef strips in a bowl. Pour in the lemongrass chili sauce. Mix well. Set aside.
- Boil a pot of water.
- Dump the spinach into the boiling water and push down to submerge. Leave for a minute. Scoop out and drain. Rinse under the tap to cool, or dump in a bowl of icy water, drain once more then squeeze to remove excess water (see instructions). Roughly chop.
- Allow the water to boil once more. Dump in the noodles. Allow to sit for a minute. Drain well and transfer to a bowl. While hot, pour in the soy sauce and toss.
- Heat the sesame seed oil in a wok or frying pan. Saute the shallots and garlic for about half a minute.
- Throw in the bell pepper. Sprinkle in a little salt and pepper. Stir fry for another half a minute.
- Add the marinated beef to the wok, stir fry for about two minutes.
- Stir in the chopped spinach.
- Taste. Add more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Add the marinated noodles to the beef and vegetables. Stir fry just until heated through, about a minute.
- Serve the lemongrass chili beef and noodles at once.