When KFC’s chizza made its debut a little over a year ago, everyone wanted to try it. What is chizza? Think chicken fried steaks smothered with pizza sauce and topped with ingredients associated with pizza — sliced sausages, tomatoes, cheese…
In short, chizza is pizza with chicken fried steak for its crust. And because it’s a KFC product, the chicken is flavored with KFC’s signature blend of spices and seasonings.
I don’t have the recipe for KFC’s signature blend of spices and seasonings. There are many copycat recipe on the web, I’ve tried some but none tasted like the original. So, when I decided to make my version of KFC’s chizza, I seasoned the chicken fillets with our own tried and tested blend of spices and seasonings which includes Parmesan.
In other words, the chicken crust is Parmesan-crusted chicken fried steak.
As for the cheese, although mozzarella is traditional for pizza, you can use any cheese that melts well. In fact, you can even use a combination of cheeses. My chizza has mozzarella and Colby Jack.
- Preheat the oven to 500F.
- Thinly slice the tomatoes, onion and bell pepper into rings.
- Arrange the undercooked Parmesan-crusted chicken fried steaks side by side on a baking tray.
- Spread tomato sauce over each chicken.
- Cover the tomato sauce with cheese slices or grated cheese.
- Arrange tomato, bell pepper an onion rings on top of the cheese.
- Cover the vegetables with another layer of cheese.
- Bake at 500F for five minutes or just until the cheese melts, the vegetables are lightly toasted and the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve your homestyle chizza by itself, over rice or as sandwich filling.