We’re seriously smitten with sausages cooked in wine these days. Just like the Spanish chorizo in red wine, this Italian-style dish of sausages, bell peppers and onions calls for stewing the browned sausages and vegetables in red wine. The main difference between the two is, of course, the inclusion of vegetables in this dish.
Why do I call it Italian-style? Is it not authentic Italian? It isn’t. As far as I know, it’s Italian-American. And I deviate from the more popularly accepted Italian-American formula by including bacon in my recipe.
Bacon? There’s bacon in this dish? Oh, yes!
It all starts with slivers of bacon and cut-up sausages browned in a little olive oil.
After both the bacon and sausages have rendered fat, onions, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper are added. Everything is cooked together until the onions are softened and translucent.
Then, the bell peppers and tomatoes go in. The usual recipes call for tomato sauce but I wanted a chunkier dish so I used diced fresh tomatoes instead.
Red wine is poured in and the mixture is left to boil gently until the liquid is reduced by half. The pan is covered, the heat is lowered, and the sausages, bacon and vegetables are allowed to stew in the red wine for about twenty minutes.
This Italian-style sausages, bell peppers and onions is good with rice, as sandwich filling and with pasta.
Choose the carbs to go with the dish. If rice, bread or pasta aren’t your thing, you can even serve this dish with mashed potatoes.
Italian-style Sausages, Bell Peppers and OnionsPrint Pin
- Cut the sausages into rings about half an inch thick.
- Slice the bacon into thin strips.
- Peel and dice the onion.
- Deseed and dice the bell peppers.
- Cut the tomatoes into quarters or eighths, depending on how large or small they are.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan. Add the bacon and sausages. Cook over medium-high heat until lightly browned.
- Add the onion, oregano, thyme, and a bit of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the onion softens.
- Throw in the bell peppers and tomatoes. Stir. Pour in the red wine. Set the heat to medium and allow everything to boil together for five to seven minutes or until the liquid is reduced by about half.
- Set the heat to low. Cover the pan. Cook the sausages and vegetables for about 20 minutes or until the mixture is almost dry. Taste and add more salt and pepper, as needed.
- Serve the Italian-style sausages, bell peppers and onions with rice, bread, pasta or your carbs of choice.
If you made this dish using our recipe and would like to publish your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the recipe instructions in your own words.