A cross between a boozy dessert and a decadently rich coffee drink, you can choose to enjoy this ice cream coffee with cherry brandy with a dessert spoon or by simply drinking it straight up. Inspired by a concoction prepared by Chef Jeo Espino, formerly of Cafe Inday, this dessert cum drink is made with cherry brandy, vanilla ice cream and extra strong coffee.
You can use the generic brandy or even tequila. Or, perhaps, even coffee liqueur like Kahlua. The trick really is to use piping hot coffee so that the moment it is poured into the glass, the ice cream melts instantly but only partially, creating a thick and creamy semi-solid marbled mass of dark brown and white.
- 2 scoops vanilla ice cream (store-bought is quite alright)
- 2 tablespoon cherry brandy (or your preferred liqueur)
- piping hot extra strong coffee (how much depends on the size of your glass)
- syrup optional
- Pour the cherry brandy into demitasse cups (2 to 3 oz. capacity).
- Add the vanilla ice cream.
- Pour the coffee over the ice cream. If the ice cream settles to the bottom and there is more space for coffee, add more coffee.
- Drizzle syrup over the coffee and ice cream, of you like. Me, I like.
- Swirl the glass a few times and drink it up straight. Or use a dessert spoon to enjoy the watchamacallit more slowly.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.