When and where exactly this cold chickpea puree appeared in Middle Eastern cuisine is unclear and there are claims that the earliest versions of this dish did not contain tahini and was seasoned with vinegar rather than lemon juice. What is clear is that hummus started to become popular in America and Europe by the end of the 1990s and, by the first decade of the 21st century, it has become — for lack of a better word — fashionable.
Hummus, the dip / spread, can be bought ready-to-eat but how can the canned factory-made stuff even begin to compare to the homemade version? This is my recipe for hummus with tahini. Very easy to make and really delicious.
Hummus With TahiniPrint Pin
- Rinse the chickpeas several times. Place in a bowl, cover with water and keep in the fridge overnight.
- Pour the chickpeas and soaking water into the pressure cooker. Sprinkle with a little salt. Check that the water is at least an inch more than the chickpeas. Snap on the lid, turn the stove to high and, when the valve starts to turn, set the heat to low. Cook the chickpeas for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Drain the chickpeas and cool; reserve the liquid.
- Pour the chickpeas into the blender or food processor. Add the tahini. Process until smooth. If the motor of the blender or food processor has difficulty pureeing, add some of the chickpea cooking liquid, a tablespoonful or so at a time. Note that your puree can be ultra smooth or a bit coarse, it’s up to you to decide what kind of texture is more appealing.
- Pour the pureed chickpeas into a bowl. Add the lemon juice and salt to taste. Stir. When the balance is right for you, stir in the grated garlic.
- Transfer the hummus with tahini into a jar with a tight cover and keep in the fridge overnight for the flavors to develop.
- To serve, spoon the hummus into a shallow bowl, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle with parsley and crushed chilies, and serve with bread, crackers or vegetable sticks.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.