Inspired by a drink concocted by Bob Blumer in his Surreal Gourmet show, Speedy substituted lemon for lime as lime is not always easy to find in supermarkets (our lime tree is fruitless these days).
This drink is definitely low-fat and low-sugar since no milk nor cream is used and the only sugar you get is the natural sugar of the honeydew. Despite the minimal ingredients and the simplicity of the recipe, the honeydew and mint cooler is delicious as the lemon juice spikes the blandness of the honeydew and the mint gives off a cooling sensation in the mouth.
Since no ice is added to make this drink, it is best to chill the honeydew before splitting, scooping out the seeds and putting in the blender.
Cut up the honeydew, throw into the blender with the mint leaves and lemon juice. Process until smooth.
Strain the contents of the blender.
Pour into glasses and serve!
- 1/2 honeydew
- 1 small handful mint leaves
- juice of one lemon
- Scoop out the seeds of the honeydew with a spoon. Scoop out the flesh with the same spoon or cut off the skin with a knife.
- Cut the honeydew flesh into small cubes.
- Put the honeydew and mint in the blender. Squeeze the lemon directly over them.
- Process everything together until smooth.
- Strain the mixture for an even smoother texture.
- Ladle or pour the strained liquid into glasses and serve at once.