Here is another chicken dish that Alex did a few nights ago. The seasonings for this honey Sriracha chicken are basic — just salt and pepper. Then, she added honey, Sriracha, rice wine and tarragon to give the flavors a tremendous lift. But more than the taste, it is the texture of the chicken that really got us.
Browned in butter, the chicken has that wonderful creamy richness that is difficult to duplicate if using some other oil or fat.
Alex seems to have a better grasp of what people like to eat than I do. Her brown sugar and garlic chicken has gotten more social media shares than any of my recent recipes. I like that. A fresh perspective on the blog is always a good thing. I especially like it that Alex is not formulaic with her cooking. She goes by taste rather than measurements, she rarely follows an existing recipe to the dot and she’s very experimental — adding a little bit of this and that while the food cooks in the pan.
You will need to eyeball the amount of ingredients to cook this dish. Go with the ratio of ingredients that satisfies your taste buds.
Honey Sriracha Chicken
- Wipe the chicken dry with paper towels. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- Melt enough butter to lightly coat the bottom of a frying pan.
- When the butter is foamy, arrange the chicken in the pan, skin side down, in a single layer. Cook the chicken over medium-high heat until the skins are nicely browned. Flip them over to brown the other side.
- Pour in the honey, Sriracha and rice wine. Sprinkle in the tarragon. Stir. Set the heat to low, cover the pan and braise the chicken for about 15 minutes.
- Uncover the pan and taste the sauce. Adjust the seasonings, as needed. Turn up the heat to medium and continue cooking, flipping the chicken thighs occasionally, until the liquid has been soaked up by the chicken. Keep a close eye on the chicken at this point to prevent scorching or, worse, burning.
- Transfer the chicken thighs to a plate. You may optionally drizzle the combined chicken fat and butter over them. Sprinkle the honey Sriracha chicken with toasted seeds and chopped parsley and serve.