Sunday afternoon. I was lazily browsing through numerous food blogs, discovering ones I had never visited before, when I came upon this gorgeous, gorgeous no-cook dessert. The base is made with crushed digestive biscuits smothered with toffee sauce. Sliced bananas are added, then a dollop of whipped cream topped with grated milk chocolate.
My first instinct was what I fantastic way to feed a huge crowd! Make the toffee sauce ahead, keep in the fridge, warm just before serving and voila! The bananas can be sliced hours earlier too. To prevent discoloration, just toss in a little lemon juice, place in a covered container and keep in the fridge until needed.
Of course, I did some tweaking. Instead of digestive biscuits, I used toasted coconut (available in supermarkets). I like the very tropical combination of coconut and fruits, to be quite honest. And, instead of grated milk chocolate, I opted for shaved dark chocolate.
The result is amazing. It might look uber rich and the description might make this dessert seem cloyingly sweet but it isn’t. So long as you don’t pour in too much toffee sauce, everything is just dandy. For proper appreciation, make sure that every spoonful includes all the ingredients. The light and rather neutral tasting cream cuts into the thick and sweet toffee sauce, the dark chocolate provides a wonderful contrast in flavor, the crunchy coconut bits add a pleasant polarity to the creaminess of the ripe bananas.
Holiday dessert: banana, toffee and creamPrint Pin
For the toffee (caramel) sauce
- Make the sauce. Place the sugar, honey and butter in a pan. Set over medium-high heat and cook until the sugar melts completely. Stir to make a smooth mixture.
- Pour in the cream. Stir to combine. Heat until bubbles form along the edges. Turn off the heat.
- Place a tablespoonful of toasted coconut at the bottom of each of four glasses.
- Follow with a tablespoonful of toffee sauce.
- Add the sliced bananas then another tablespoonful of toasted coconut.
- Pour in two tablespoonfuls of toffee sauce.
- Top with whipped cream. Sprinkle with shaved dark chocolate.
If you made this dish using our recipe and would like to publish your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the recipe instructions in your own words.