I’ve made omelet cupcakes many times — with chopped meat, fish, vegetables… And I just realized that leftover Christmas ham, roast turkey, duck or chicken, and cheese, are wonderful additions to this pretty breakfast / snack too.
Who doesn’t have leftovers from Christmas Eve dinner, right? There’s always meat in one form or another. And, if you’re a Filipino or of Filipino descent and your family adheres to Filipino noche buena traditions, there’s bound to be queso de bola (Edam cheese) as well.
Why keep reheating meat when you can recycle?
Why let queso de bola dry out and shrivel in the farthest recesses of the fridge?
Omelet cupcakes are mini-omelets baked in muffin pans. Not for eye candy (although they are supper pretty!) but to make them more portable and more convenient to handle. Moms who pack meals for school-aged children will understand. And cooks who like to bring unique dishes to picnics will understand as well.
Ham and Cheese Omelet Cupcakes
- melted butter for brushing
- 1 large onion
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil for sautéing
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup chopped ham (you can always use more)
- ¼ cup shredded cheese (again, you can always use more)
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely scallions optional
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Lightly brush 10 cupcake tins with melted butter.
- Chop the onion and bell peppers. Saute in vegetable oil until they start to turn soft, about 3 minutes.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl. Stir in the chopped ham, cheese, some salt (go easy on the salt because the ham and cheese are already salty), pepper and the sautéed onion and bell peppers. Add some finely sliced callions, if you like.
- Spoon the mixture into the buttered cupcake tins, about 4/5 full. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until firm and lightly browned.
- Cool the omelet cupcakes for a minute or two to firm up then run a thin knife around them to release them from the cupcake tins.
- Serve the ham and cheese omelet cupcakes while still warm.
If you made this dish using our recipe and would like to publish your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the recipe instructions in your own words.