A great side dish for fried or grilled meat, this green beans with lemon garlic sauce is also filling and tasty enough to be the main course for a vegetarian. It has so much going for it—butter, sweet crunchy green beans, the surprising brightness of lemon juice and the boldness of garlic.
I cooked this green beans with lemon garlic sauce for my daughter, Sam. To complete her meal, there was a bowl of egg fried rice. Thinking there still might not be enough texture in her meal, I served the beans over a slice of crispy hash browns. It turned out the addition was totally unnecessary. Sam got all the beans with garlic and rice; the hash browns got left behind on the plate. And that means the green beans with lemon garlic sauce—with egg fried rice in this case—is satisfying enough for a complete meal.
Green Beans With Lemon Garlic SaucePrint Pin
- generous handful green beens
- 2 tablespoons butter divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (not extra virgin)
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- squirt lemon juice
- extra virgin olive oil to garnish
- Rinse the green beans. Snap off the tips and pull off the strings that run on both sides.
- Heat a tablespoon of butter and olive oil in a frying pan. Spread the green beans in a single layer. Cook over medium heat for a minute. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stir a few times then spread in a single layer once more. Cook for another minute. Sprinkle with a little more salt and pepper, stir and spread the beans again and cook for another minute. Scoop out the beans and set aside.
- Melt the remaining butter in the frying pan. Stir the garlic into the hot oil. Over medium-low heat, cook the garlic, with occasional stirring, until golden brown. Scoop out the garlic and set aside.
- Add the lemon juice to the pan. Stir. Add the green beans back into the pan. Cook for one minute, stirring often.
- Pile the cooked green beans on a plate. Pour whatever liquid remains in the pan over the beans. Spoon the toasted garlic on top of the beans. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and serve.
If you made this dish using our recipe and would like to publish your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the recipe instructions in your own words.