Think palitaw. Imagine that in lieu of something flat, the rice dough is shaped as tiny balls no more than an inch in diameter. Now imagine that instead of rolling the cooked dough in grated coconut, the rice balls are served in a pool of strawberry syrup and topped with toasted dessicated coconut.
That should describe this dish. I won’t claim originality because it was inspired by something created by a chef (whose name I can’t remember) featured in the Barcelona episode of Anthony Bourdain’s No Reservations. No recipe was given although a footage of the preparation was shown. When Anthony Bourdain tried it, he said it reminded him of the Japanese mochi and I just knew how this mouth-watering dessert should be cooked.
You can use any kind of jam, really, but we still have a couple of jars of strawberry jam because Speedy was in Baguio last month so that’s what I used.
Glutinous rice balls with strawberry syrup and toasted coconutPrint Pin
- 1/4 cup strawberry jam
- 1 tablespoon desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup glutinous (sticky) rice flour (sticky) rice flour
- First prepare the syrup. Place the jam in a bowl. Stir in hot water, a teaspoonful at a time, just until the mixture is pourable. Pour into the blender and pulse a few times to break up large pieces of strawberry. Chill.
- Dry fry the desiccated coconut in a pan until golden brown. Set aside.
- Place the glutinous rice flour in a bowl. Stir in water (at room temperature), a tablespoonful at a time, just until the mixture comes together. The dough should be soft but not sticky.
- In a small sauce pan, bring about two cups of water to the boil.
- Have a bowl of iced water ready.
- Form the rice dough into small balls and drop them into the briskly boiling water. As soon as each ball floats to the surface, scoop it out and dump into the the bowl of iced water.
- Drain the cooked rice balls and transfer to a plate. Pour the strawberry syrup around them and sprinkle with the toasted desiccated coconut.
- Then, sit on your favorite couch and enjoy. I skipped lunch today because I was full after eating what you see in the photo.