So, there’s General Tso’s chicken and there’s General Tso’s tofu. Now, there’s General Tso’s meatballs. But who General Tso really was, I still have no idea. Doesn’t matter. These meatballs are delicious.
It starts with well seasoned ground beef mixed with spices, a beaten egg and bread crumbs. The mixture was formed into balls and baked in a very hot oven.
After 15 minutes of baking, the sauce was cooked on the stove top.
The meatballs were tossed with the sauce, sprinkled with toasted chopped cashew nuts and arranged on a bed of lettuce.
General Tso's MeatballsPrint Pin
- Preheat the oven to 450F.
- Line a baking tray with non-stick paper.
- In a bowl, mix together the ground pork, salt, pepper, egg and bread crumbs. Form into two-inch balls.
- Arrange the meatballs on the prepared baking tray and bake for 20 minutes.
- When the meatballs have been baking for 15 minutes, make the sauce. In a wok or frying pan large enough to toss all the meatballs in, pour in the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, rice wine and rice vinegar. Stir in the sugar and chili flakes. Heat gently until bubbly.
- Take the meatballs out of the oven and drop them into the simmering sauce. Toss to coat all the meatballs with sauce.
- Line a plate or shallow bowl with lettuce. Arrange the meatballs on top of the lettuce. Drizzle in any sauce remaining in the wok or frying pan.
- Sprinkle General Tso's meatballs with toasted cashew nuts.