It’s chicken curry, no doubt but not in the form of a stew. The chicken drumettes marinated in coconut curry were deep fried. Of course, you can bake, broil or grill them too but that’s really secondary. It’s really the curry sauce that makes these fried chicken drumettes pop with flavor, aroma and texture. The flavors are complex, the aroma is warm and earthy, and the texture is a contrast between a lightly crisp exterior and a very moist meat inside. And this moistness is derived largely from the coconut milk in the curry sauce because, overnight in the fridge (longer if you have the time), the chicken drumettes just soak up the creamy-oily goodness of the coconut milk quite nicely.
Note that the chicken drumettes used in this recipe were prepared lollipop-style (the meat scraped and pushed to form a ball on one end of the bone). It isn’t necessary to take this extra step.
Fried Chicken Drumettes Marinated in Coconut CurryPrint Pin
- Rinse the chicken. Pat dry with a kitchen towel.
- In a bowl, mix together the rest of the ingredients to make the curry sauce.
- Add the chicken drumettes to the sauce. Mix well.
- Transfer the chicken and the marinade into a container. Tip: Use a shallow container so that every chicken drumette is submerged in the sauce. If you have a deep container, the chicken pieces at the bottom will get more marinade than the ones on top. You will need to mix the contents every few hours to make sure that the chicken marinate evenly.
- Cover the container and leave overnight in the fridge.
- Drain the chicken drumettes.
- Heat enough cooking oil to reach a depth of about three inches. Over medium heat, fry the chicken, in batches of six to eight, for about three minutes. Turn the heat the high and continue frying for another minute or so or until the chicken drumettes are crisp and deeply golden.
- Squeeze a little lemon juice over the chicken drumettes before serving. Optionally, you may place lemon slices or wedges on the side.
If you made this dish using our recipe and would like to publish your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the recipe instructions in your own words.