It’s a cool and lazy Sunday morning—perfect for breakfast outdoors. Speedy and I had franks and beans served with scrambled eggs. He had bread; I didn’t.
What is “franks and beans”? Also called beanie weenies, it’s a dish similar to pork and beans but, in lieu of pork, sausages are added to stewed beans. Think of it as a less expensive and easier (and probably bastardized) fabada asturiana.
So… it’s essentially a junk food meal? Partly, I suppose. But beans are packed with protein and fiber so I wouldn’t call them junk food. And to add more nutrients to the dish, I integrated vegetables and herbs into the franks and beans.
And “franks” are…? Frankfurters, of course. Chicken frankfurters, in this case. But you can use just about any kind of sausage (well, except canned Vienna sausages) to make franks and beans. Garlicky and spicy sausages are especially good.
And the beans…? Just canned pork and beans? No, I used canned baked beans in tomato sauce which has more beans than sauce. Whereas, canned pork and beans is fifty per cent sauce.
Any bean variety will do? Oh, yes!
The scrambled eggs are just that—moist and jiggly, and totally satisfying.
Franks and Beans (Beanie Weenies)Print Pin
- 3 frankfurters
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 onion
- 2 plump and juicy tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- pinch dried thyme
- generous pinch dried oregano
- 1 can baked beans in tomato sauce
- Slash the frankfurters to prevent them from curling.
- Peel and mince the garlic.
- Peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Dice the tomatoes.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan. Lightly fry the frankfurters. Push to them one side of the pan.
- Add the garlic, onion and tomatoes to the oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add the thyme and oregano. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the vegetables soften.
- Pour in the baked beans. Stir. Taste; add more salt and pepper, as needed. Cook until bubbly.
- To serve, ladle a generous amount of beans into a bowl. Top with a frankfurter.
- Serve the franks and beans with scrambled eggs on the side.
If you made this dish using our recipe and would like to publish your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the recipe instructions in your own words.