Crispy floured fish fillets are paired with coleslaw. The coleslaw dressing is a mixture of mayonnaise, softened cream cheese and lemon juice. Crushed pineapple and carrot are added to the cabbage for sweetness that contrasts beautifully with the lemon juice in the dressing.
These fish fillet and coleslaw sandwiches make a delicious and substantial snack or a light main meal.
Fish Fillet and Coleslaw Sandwich
This recipe has been updated on February 23, 2018.
- 1 cup finely shredded cabbage
- 1/4 cup julienned carrot
- 2 tablespoons crushed pineapple drained
- juice of 1/4 lemon
- 1 tablespoon cream cheese softened to room temperature
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 300 gram fish fillet any firm and fleshy fish will do
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- cooking oil for frying
- 6 slices bread
- Make the coleslaw. In a mixing bowl, toss together the cabbage, carrot and pineapple.
- In a small bowl, make dressing by whipping the mayonnaise and cream cheese with the lemon juice.
- Toss the cabbage mixture with the dressing. Season with just enough salt and pepper to create a good blend. Cover the bowl and store in the fridge while you cook the fish.
- Cut the fish into three equal slices. Sprinkle both sides of each slice generously with salt and pepper.
- Dredge each slice of fish in flour. Shake off the excess.
- In a frying pan, heat enough cooking oil to reach a depth of at least one inch.
- Fry the floured fish fillets until the coating is browned and crisp. Flip for even cooking.
- Toast the bread.
- Spread coleslaw on three bread slices. Top each with a fried fish fillet. Cover with the remaining bread. Cut each sandwich into halves (optional) and serve.