The longganisa (native sausage) and whole eggs combination is a Filipino favorite all-day breakfast meal. They’re usually served with rice and a simple tomato salad on the side. Instead of serving longganisa and eggs with rice, I turned them into pizza topping. The dough is homemade. So is the tomato sauce. Pizza is Italian but the toppings that went into this pizza give it a very Filipino character.
The idea isn’t mine. Months ago, a friend of a friend shared a photo of a similar pizza in his Tumblr account (thank you!) and I’ve been intrigued ever since. But I struggled with an egg allergy for months and it was only recently that I started eating eggs, and anything with eggs, again. It’s Valentine’s Day. And eating a pizza with about a dozen whole (quail) eggs in it is my way of celebrating. Of course, I didn’t eat all the quail eggs… just a few.
Filipino breakfast pizza
- Prepare the homemade pizza crust dough. While the dough rises, prepare the toppings.
- Make the tomato sauce. But cook it a little longer so that you have a chunky paste instead of a thin sauce. Cool the tomato paste.
- Cut the longganisa casings and press to separate the filling. Discard the casings. Crumble the filling.
- Pan fry the longganisa filling in an oil-free non-stick pan until lightly browned. Transfer to a plate and cool.
- Once the pizza dough has risen, preheat the oven to its highest setting (higher than 500F, ideally).
- Assemble the pizza. Sprinkle the pizza pan with cornmeal or bread crumbs. Lay the pizza crust on the pan.
- Spread the tomato paste over the crust. Sprinkle half of the cheese over the tomato paste. Add the browned longganisa. Spread to distribute evenly. Season with salt and pepper.
- Crack the quail eggs, one by one, on top of the longganisa. Space them well so that they are nicely distributed over the entire surface of the pizza.
- Next, the onion rings. Scatter them over the entire pizza too. Finally, the remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in a very, very hot preheated oven for seven to 10 minutes or until the crust is lightly crisp and the toppings are nicely browned.