This eggplants, bok choy and mushrooms in oyster sauce side dish was cooked in a little under 15 minutes, including the preparation time. Truly. And it was so delicious that Sam ate more side dish than main dish. Amazing especially since this dish was an afterthought.
A couple of days ago, I marinated chicken wings intending to broil them the next day for lunch. And I did broil them in the turbo broiler as planned. But after turning on the turbo broiler, I remembered that we still had a couple of eggplants and the eggplant lover, my daughter Sam, was home for the weekend. Since it would take the chicken wings about 20 minutes to cook, I decided to make a vegetable dish to go with them.
Eggplants, bok choy and mushrooms in oyster saucePrint Pin
- cooking oil for deep frying
- 3 large large eggplants diced
- 150 grams button mushrooms (or your preferred mushroom variety), sliced
- 1 bunch bok choy cut into two-inch lengths, white stalks and green leaves separated
- 1 onion sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce (or vegetarian oyster sauce for vegans)
- drizzle sesame seed oil
- toasted sesame seeds
- Heat the cooking oil in a wok or frying pan until fine wisps of smoke start to float on the surface. Fry the eggplants for one minute (see the post on flash frying). Scoop out and drain on paper towels. Do not wait until the eggplants are very soft. Eggplants continue cooking in the residual heat even after they have been taken off the pan. Since the eggplants will be stir fried with the rest of the ingredients, it is best to undercook them a bit at this stage.
- Pour off the cooking oil until only about a tablespoonful remains. Reheat the oil. Saute the onion, ginger and garlic until fragrant. Add the mushrooms and the white stalks of the bok choy. Stir fry for about 45 seconds.
- Add the eggplants and bok choy leaves. Season with the oyster sauce, salt, pepper and a little sugar for balance. Stir fry for another minute or so to wilt the leaves and cook the eggplants through.
- Transfer to a platter, drizzle with sesame seed oil and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds. Serve the eggplants, bok choy and mushrooms in oyster sauce immediately.