I’ve loved chocolate mousse since I was a child. Then, I learned that is made with raw egg yolks. Despite the salmonella scare, I continued gorging on chocolate mousse. The first time I saw Nigella Lawson make this easy eggless instant chocolate mousse in her TV show, I promised myself I’d try her recipe. If I can enjoy my chocolate mousse without the threat of catching salmonella, why not?
So, I did try making chocolate mousse with no raw egg yolks. Topping the mousse with whipped cream and chocolate bits made this lovely dessert even better.
It’s good, no question about it. Except for the part about not paying attention to the list of ingredients that says “dark chocolate”. I used milk chocolate, the mousse turned out a bit too sweet. I’ve learned my lesson. Next time, it’ll be dark chocolate. There’ll be next time? Oh, yes. The smooth, silky mousse was just lovely. And the recipe is so easy to follow. Many next times, definitely.
Eggless instant chocolate moussePrint Pin
- 150 grams marshmallows (I used chocolate marshmallows but plain ones are fine)
- 1/4 cup butter at room temperature
- 250 grams chocolate (please used the best quality dark chocolate you can find)
- 1/3 cup very hot water
- 1 cup whipping cream
- whipped cream and chocolate bits for garnish (optional)
- Chop the chocolate or cut into very small pieces.
- Place the chocolate, butter and marshmallows in a thick bottomed pan. Pour in the hot water.
- Set the pan on the stove over very, very low heat to melt the chocolate, butter and marshmallows. Stir often, scraping the bottom to make sure that no chocolate sticks.
- When the mixture is smooth, turn off the heat and let it cool for a bit.
- While the chocolate mixture cools, whip the cup of cream.
- Fold the cream into the chocolate mixture until smooth. Pour the mousse into dessert glasses (I used champagne glasses) and chill in the fridge for about an hour or until the top can be touched without leaving a trace on the finger.
- Top the eggless instant chocolate mousse with whipped cream, sprinkle with chocolate bits and serve.