We had roast duck on New Year’s Eve but we didn’t finish it. There was too much food. In addition to the duck, we had shrimps crusted with crushed corn flakes and seeds (cooked by Sam), grilled squid, salad, grilled asparagus and sweet potatoes. We didn’t even get to the dessert part. We were too full. So, now, we’re living on leftovers. But we’re not just reheating them; we’re recycling them. This duck and white asparagus soup was cooked with leftover roast duck.
But… white asparagus? Isn’t asparagus green? Yes, it is, but not always. When asparagus is grown without exposing to sunlight, it does not turn green. If you recall your high school biology, it is sunlight that is responsible for the production of chlorophyll which gives plants their green color. To grow white asparagus, the shoots are covered with soil and kept away from sunlight.
But, aside from the color, are green and white asparagus the same? It is the same plant but white and green asparagus have different flavors. While green asparagus has a slightly grassy taste, white asparagus is sweeter with a more delicate overall flavor. White asparagus is beloved in parts of Europe where the ivory spears can easily be bought fresh when in season. Here in the tropics, we content ourselves with the canned version.
Duck and White Asparagus Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups shredded duck meat
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can white asparagus
- 2 cups duck broth
- snipped chives (scallions will work too)
- Heat the butter in a pot. Add the shredded duck meat, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cook until lightly browned. Scoop out and set aside.
- Into the pan, pour the cream of mushroom soup, the liquid from the can of white asparagus and the duck broth. Whisk vigorously. Heat until simmering.
- Add the duck to the soup. Stir. Taste the soup and add more salt and pepper, as needed.
- Stir in the chives.
- Serve the duck and white asparagus soup immediately.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.