In the duck egg drop soup recipe, I wrote about simmering the carcass of the roast duck and picking the meat to make soup and fried rice. I also mentioned that while most of the brown meat went into the soup, the bits of skin were reserved for the duck cracklings fried rice. I don’t know how you feel about duck fat but, as a cook, I have to say that anything cooked in it just tastes delicious. If you have health issues, there are claims that it is healthier than butter. I wouldn’t know about that, I am not a nutritionist — I am a home cook. I simply go by the rule “everything in moderation.”
You can make fried rice with vegetable or peanut oil but if you happen to have leftover duck skin, I recommend that you use it.
It’s easy enough to render duck fat and make duck cracklings. If using raw duck skin, cut the skin into small pieces and simmer in a pot with a little water until the water evaporates and only the fat is left. If you leave the duck skin in the hot fat with the stove on, they will turn into cracklings.
If using cooked skin (from boiled leftover roast duck), just cut the duck skin and place in a non-stick pan over medium heat. The duck skin will render whatever fat is left in it and, as the fat accumulates, the duck skin will start frying in it. After a few minutes, you get both duck fat and duck cracklings.
- Cut the Chinese sausage in half vertically then slice into half circles thinly.
- Peel the carrot and chop.
- Cut the scallions into half-inch lengths.
- Heat the duck fat in a wok or frying pan.
- Add the Chinese sausage, chopped carrot and corn. Cook over high heat, stirring often, for about half a minute or so.
- Add the scallions and the rice. Season with soy sauce and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the rice is heated through. Taste and adjust the seasonings if necessary. If the fried rice needs more saltiness, I suggest adding salt because another dose of soy sauce might make the fried rice too dark.
- When the rice is perfectly seasoned, add the duck cracklings and toss everything together a few times.
- Serve the duck crackling fried rice immediately.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.