Pureed cucumber, dairy milk, coconut milk, sugar, ice and mint leaves. Those are the ingredients for this cucumber and coconut milk shake. The proportion between milk and coconut milk can be adjusted (some people find pure coconut milk too strong); for those who prefer a hundred percent non-dairy milk shake, omit the dairy milk altogether.
If you have tender coconut meat, you might want to add some too (see also, a visual guide to everything coconut).
This cucumber and coconut milk shake is a variation of the cucumber juice that I first tried at Alfredo’s Steak House many, many years ago.
- 1 cucumber
- 1/2 cup milk and coconut milk - (you decide the ratio)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup crushed ice
- 3 mint leaves plus a sprig to garnish
- Peel the cucumber. Cut in half lengthwise and, using a spoon, scoop out the seeds and discard. Cut the cucumber into small cubes.
- Put the cucumber in a blender. Pour in the milk and coconut milk. Add the sugar and ice. Puree just until smooth.
- Add the mint leaves and pulse one or two times just to bruise the leaves.
- Serve at once garnished with a sprig of mint leaves.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.
For a no-milk, no coconut milk version, see the cucumber and coconut smoothie recipe.