To accompany the fried chicken with Asian spices, I made this simple cucumber, chili and tomato salad. The dressing? Oil free. Just lemon juice, sugar and fish sauce. Don’t look shocked. Once mixed with the onions, chili and cilantro, the effect is wonderful.
- 1 cucumber peeled and cut into half-inch cubes
- 4 tomatoes cut into half-inch cubes
- 1 finger chili sliced thinly
- 12 to 15 stalks scallions cut into half-inch lengths
- 1 small onion roughly chopped
- juice of one lemon (I used native lemon, the one with the green peel)
- ½ teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- cilantro leaves for garnish
- Peel the cucumber and cut into half-inch cubes.
- Cut the tomatoes into halves and squeeze out the seeds. Cut the deseeded tomatoes into half-inch cubes.
- Thinly slice the finger chili.
- Cut the scallions into half-inch lengths.
- Peel and roughly chop the onion.
- In a bowl, mix together the lemon juice, fish sauce and sugar.
- Place all the cut vegetables in a bowl. Drizzle the dressing over them. Toss lightly but thoroughly.
- Garnish the cucumber, chili and tomato salad with torn cilantro before serving.