It is chop suey with lechon kawali. But had I used that phrase for the name of the recipe, only Filipinos would understand just how special this crispy pork belly and vegetables stir fry is.
It starts with the pork belly which simmered with spices until tender then roasted in the oven, at extremely high heat, until the skin blisters and turns into crackling. The crispy pork belly is cooled until the juices settle, chopped into bite size pieces then tossed with the stir fried vegetables just before serving.
The stir fry can include just about any vegetable (such a good way to use bits and pieces left in the fridge) but I highly recommend choosing ones that hold their shape and retain some crunch after some punishing tossing and stirring over high heat.
Crispy Pork Belly and Vegetables Stir FryPrint Pin
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 small cauliflower
- 1 carrot
- 1 bell pepper
- bunch yard-long beans about 100 to 150 grams
- 1/2 cup bone broth
- 1 teaspoon tapioca (or corn or potato) starch
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seed oil
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 cups chopped roast pork belly (see instructions)
- Before doing anything, read stir frying basics.
- Peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Crush, peel and mince the garlic.
- Cut the cauliflower into bite-size florets.
- Peel the carrot and cut into thin discs (or half-discs if the carrot is rather large).
- String the beans. Cut into two-inch lengths.
- Mix together the broth, starch, rice wine, oyster sauce, soy sauce, five-spice powder and sesame seed oil.
- Heat the cooking oil in a wok or thick-bottomed frying pan.
- Saute the onion and garlic until fragrant.
- Add the cauliflower, carrot, bell pepper and string beans. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and a little sugar. Stir fry for about a minute.
- Pour the broth-starch solution into the vegetables. Continue stir frying until the sauce thickens and coats every piece of vegetable. Taste. Adjust the seasonings, as needed.
- Add the chopped crispy pork belly to the pan. Stir fry for another 10 to 15 seconds just until the meat is heated through.
- Serve the crispy pork belly and vegetables stir fry at once.