It’s the kind of dish that has everything in it — meat, vegetables and herbs. What inspired it? Mexican and Italian staples, mostly. Fresh tomatoes and oregano make a classic combination; so do tomatoes and basil. Mexican cuisine uses a lot of pork and corn. I thought I put them all together and make this fast and easy crispy fried pork with corn, tomatoes and basil.
The corn can be canned, frozen or fresh. If using fresh, check out some tips on how to cut the kernels off the cobs.
If you like more meat than vegetables or the other way around, just change the proportions. If you like more variety in your vegetables, you can add bell peppers or asparagus. If you like the dish to be a bit spicy, add a finger chili or two.
This is the second dish that I cooked using a kilo of pork belly. A third of the pork became the pork with pineapple, ginger and chilies. The following recipe presumes that you have already cooked your pork. See the pork with pineapple, ginger and chilies on how to prepare the pork.
When you have your pork, everything else is just sauteeing and tossing.
Onions and tomatoes are cooked gently until softened.
The corn and herbs are added and seasonings are thrown in.
The heat is turned up, the cooked pork pieces are added and everything is tossed together until heated through.
Crispy Fried Pork With Corn, Tomatoes and Basil
- 700 grams pork belly cut into strips, seasoned with salt and pepper, dredged in flour and fried until golden with a crisp coating
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 large onion sliced into rings
- 3 tomatoes roughly chopped
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups corn kernels (if using fresh or frozen, pre-cook in a minimal amount of lightly salted water then drain well)
- 12 large large sweet basil leaves thinly sliced
- leaves from one small sprig of oregano
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Heat the cooking oil in a frying pan. Add the onion rings and tomatoes cook just until a bit softened.
- Add the corn, basil and oregano. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, just until heated through.
- Add the pork, cook over high heat, tossing often, just until the pork is heated through.
- Off the fire, adjust the seasonings, as needed. Serve the crispy fried pork with corn, tomatoes and basil at once.