Inspired by a dish from The Vegetarian Kitchen, my version of vegetarian sweet and sour dish features hard-boiled quail eggs and black sesame seeds. With the exclusion of quail eggs, this would be a vegan dish but eggs being a good source of protein, I add some to meatless dishes where possible to replace protein lost from the exclusion of meat.
Any combination of vegetables would be good for this dish. But, as with any stir fried vegetable dish, it is best to stick with vegetables that stay crisp after stir frying. In short, green leafy vegetables are not recommended.
Crisp tofu skin, mixed vegetables and quail eggs with sweet and sour sauce
- 1 pack tofu skin fried until crisp (see details)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 carrot peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 chayote peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 to 2 bell peppers seeded and diced (see tip)
- 1 small onion sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- salt and pepper
- 12 quail eggs hard-boiled and shelled
- 1/4 cup sweet sour sauce
- toasted black sesame seeds
- Heat the cooking in a wok or frying pan.
- Stir fry the carrot and chayote for about two minutes. Add the capsicum; stir fry for another minute.
- Add the onion and garlic. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stir fry for another minute.
- Add the quail eggs. Stir fry just long enough to heat them through.
- To assemble the dish, arrange the fried tofu skins on one side of the platter then tip the stir fried vegetables on the other side. Drizzle the sweet and sour sauce over the tofu skins and vegetables. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.
- Serve the crisp tofu skin, mixed vegetables and quail eggs with sweet and sour sauce at once.