If you’ve never experienced crepes with bananas and guava jelly filling before, you’re missing a lot.
We were watching some DVDs last night and, close to midnight, we found ourselves hungry only to discover there was no bread in the house to make some quick sandwiches. There were boxes of cereals and lots of milk but cereals just don’t seem right for a midnight snack. My daughter, Alex, wanted some crepes but there was no pancake mix either. Alas, with heavy feet (we were in the middle of a very funny movie), I dragged myself into the kitchen to make some crepes from scratch.
I was cooking the third or fourth crepe when my eyes went past a bunch of ripe bananas on the counter. I checked the fridge for jam or jelly, found a jar of guava jelly and the result was crepes with bananas and guava jelly filling so good that I felt the need to blog — and brag — about them.
Crepes With Bananas and Guava Jelly FillingPrint Pin
- 2 eggs
- 1 and 1/2 cups full-fat milk
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- fresh ripe bananas
- guava jelly
- Beat the eggs. Stir in the milk, melted butter and sugar.
- Whisk together the flour and baking powder.
- Pour the flour mixture into the milk-egg mixture and stir until lump-free.
- Pour about a quarter cup of the batter into a pre-heated non-stick pan, tilting the pan to spread the batter as thinly as possible. If the batter is too thick (i.e., if it looks like you’re going to have a regular pancake rather than a crepe), add a little more milk to the batter in the mixing bowl. Cook the crepe until the top bubbles and the underside is lightly browned. Flip over and cook the other side. Repeat until all the batter has been used up.
- Slice some bananas lengthwise into halves. Place a half-banana, cut side up (if you put it cut side down, the jam or jelly will fall along the sides), on the center of a crepe. Spread some jam or jelly over the banana. Roll the crepe, folding both sides in as you do.
- Then, serve and enjoy. I would have topped the banana-stuffed crepes with whipped cream but that’s too fattening already.