Boiled potatoes were mashed and mixed with ham bone broth to make this smooth, creamy and super delicious bacon and potato soup.
Yes, ham bone broth. The wonders that ham bone can do. I bought five ham bones for about a hundred pesos and this is the third dish I’ve made with them. I just add the ham bone to a pot of water along with vegetables, simmer them together for a couple of hours and the broth produced is so rich and tasty. Last night I made a bacon and potato soup with it. Speedy liked it so much that I made it again today. But there’s a difference between this one and last night’s version.
Last night, the soup was chunkier with small pieces of potatoes for a more rustic feel. Today’s bacon and potato soup was creamy all the way. Speedy likes the chunky version; I like the creamy version.
Making creamy potato and bacon soup starts with broth. Homemade, preferably. I made mine with ham bone.
Peel the potatoes, cut into pieces and cook in the broth until soft and mushy.
Meanwhile, in another pan, cook the bacon to render fat. You will need that fat.
Remove the bacon from the pan and use the bacon fat to sweat the onion.
Take about half a cup of the broth and pour into the pan with the onion to deglaze. You want the browned tasty bits to liquefy so scrape the bottom of the pan to make sure to get all those browned bits. Not only will they make the soup tastier, they will give the soup and deeper color too.
Puree the potatoes with some of the cooking liquid.
Pour the pureed potatoes into the pan with the bacon fat and onion.
Drop in a few knobs of butter, season, stir and you’re done.
Sprinkle the bacon on the soup before serving.
Creamy Potato and Bacon SoupPrint Pin
- 4 medium potatoes peeled and diced
- 4 cups bone broth preferably homemade
- 100 grams belly bacon
- 1 large onion peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- sliced scallions to garnish
- Boil the potatoes in the broth. Lower the heat, cover and simmer for about ten minutes.
- While the potatoes cook, fry the bacon in a pan until the fat is rendered and the bacon is browned.
- Remove the bacon with tongs or a slotted spoon and cool.
- In the bacon fat, cook the chopped onion over medium heat until softened a bit, about a minute.
- Take a half cup of broth from the pan with the potatoes and pour over the browned onion bits. Stir and scrape the bottom of the pan.
- Meanwhile, pour the broth and potatoes into the blender. Pulse a couple of times for a chunky soup; puree completely for a creamy soup.
- Pour the potato mixture into the pan with the onion.
- Season with salt and pepper, and stir. When the mixture boils, turn off the heat. Add the butter and stir until melted.
- Pour the soup into a tureen or ladle into individual bowls. Crumble or chop the bacon and sprinkle on the soup. Garnish with slivers of onion leaves. Serve hot with buttered toast.