A creamy chicken mushroom soup bursting with chunks of deboned breast meat, fresh button mushrooms, sweet corn, carrot, onion and celery that’s best enjoyed with buttered crusty bread.
It starts with mirepoix in butter. The vegetables soften and caramelize lightly to heighten their flavors. Then, the broth is prepared with a combination of blonde roux, canned condensed mushroom soup and cream. The cooked chicken and vegetables are added, and everything is simmered together until the flavors blend.
Creamy Chicken Mushroom SoupPrint Pin
- 4 tablespoons butter divided
- 1 medium-sized carrot cubed
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- salt and pepper
- 6 to 8 button mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup sweet corn kernels (fresh, frozen or canned)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 can of condensed cream of mushroom soup
- meat from one chicken breast diced
- 1/2 cup dairy cream (half-and-half will do too)
- Heat 2 tbsps. of butter. Add the carrot, celery and onion, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and saute until softened, about four minutes. Add the sliced mushrooms and sweet corn, sprinkle with a bit more salt and pepper, and continue sauteing for another two minutes. Scoop out the vegetables and transfer to a bowl.
- Add the remaining butter to the pan. Add the flour, all at once, and stir to make a smooth paste. Proceed to make a blonde roux (read more about roux).
- Pour in the chicken broth in a thin stream, stirring as you pour. Bring the mixture to a simmer. Stir in the mushroom soup.
- Add the chicken meat and the sauteed vegetables. Taste the soup, add more salt and pepper, as needed. Cover, lower the heat and simmer for ten minutes.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the cream.
- Serve the chicken, mushrooms and vegetables chowder hot with crusty bread.