Sometimes, a “same old, same old” dish becomes something spectacular with just the right accessory. Take grilled eggplants, for example. Although they are flavorful enough by themselves especially when dipped in spicy vinegar, they sure can get a lift. Spoon creamed broccoli over them and you have a meatless dish that is colorful with more complex flavors and texture.
For my vegetarian daughter, Sam.
And for us omnivores, the creamed broccoli was served as a side dish to fried chicken. Although most people think there is nothing boring about fried chicken, a vegetable side dish is always welcome. A raw vegetable salad, mashed potatoes or even fries may be universal favorites, but something new can add even more excitement.
Creamed broccoli as a side dish provides a rich sauce for any fried, grilled or broiled dish.
What’s in this creamed broccoli side dish? Broccoli, of course, and cream. But between the two, a few extras.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 pinches pepper
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped bell peppers
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup cream
- Heat the butter in a frying pan. Add the chopped onion. Sprinkle with half of the salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat until the onion caramelizes.
- Add the peppers and broccoli florets. Sprinkle with the remaining salt and pepper. Cook for a few minutes, tossing often, just until the broccoli florets are done.
- Pour in the cream. Cook just until the cream turns bubbly.
- Serve alongside your fried, grilled or broiled meat, seafood or vegetables.