A lovely way to enjoy your bowl of rice. Dried cranberries, toasted pistachio nuts and golden raisins are stirred with rice in bone broth tinted with turmeric. A little lemon juice is squeezed over the cranberry and pistachio pilaf just before serving.
Is this a main dish? It can be if you’re a vegetarian, in which case, you should swap vegetable broth for the bone broth in the ingredients list. I served this cranberry and pistachio pilaf as a side dish for lechon kawali (crispy pork belly).
It was an amazing meal, truth be told, although I did have initial apprehensions about the rich flavors of the pilaf overpowering the basic flavors of the pork belly. There was no need to worry though. The strong point of lechon kawali is its texture, not its flavor. In fact, lechon kawali requires a dipping sauce to enhance the very basic seasonings of the pork. A beautiful and tasty rice side dish only elevates the lechon kawali experience to unbelievable heights.
It doesn’t follow, of course, that lechon kawali is the only main dish that this pilaf will go well with. It’s versatile and good with fish too! Try pairing it with steamed fish with lemon and olive oil and enjoy an unforgettable meal.
Ready for the recipe? Here it is.
Cranberry and Pistachio PilafPrint Pin
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan.
- Saute the chopped shallots until softened and translucent.
- Toss in the dried cranberries, toasted pistachio and golden raisins and cook until everything is coated with oil.
- Add the rice. Cook, stirring, until every grain is glistening with oil.
- Transfer to the contents of the pan to the rice cooker.
- Pour in the bone broth, stir and taste. Add as much salt as needed for a well-rounded flavor.
- Stir in the pepper and turmeric.
- Cook the pilaf in the rice cooker until all the broth has been soaked up by the rice.
- Leave the cooked pilaf for five minutes then fluff with a fork.
- Ladle the cranberry and pistachio pilaf into bowls. Squeeze a little lemon juice over the rice. Arrange lemon wedges on the side and sprinkle with torn cilantro.
- Serve at once.