Fresh sweet corn cut off the cob would be perfect for this salad but, unfortunately, there was none at the grocery so canned corn was substituted. The rest of the ingredients — red onion, bell pepper, cucumber, tomatoes and cilantro — are all fresh.
Is this a side salad? Not exactly. It can be but we’re having it for merienda. For non-Filipinos, merienda is a mid-morning or mid-afternoon snack. We don’t often do that, eat between meals, but lunch was very light (leftovers) and since the soya pork dinner will take a couple of hours to simmer, I thought a mid-afternoon snack was in order.
This corn salad is lacto-vegetarian. If you want to make it vegan, substitute olive oil for the butter.
To prevent the salad from turning watery too fast, scoop out the seeds of the tomatoes and cucumber.
Corn salad with lemon-butter dressingPrint Pin
- Drain the corn well.
- Cut the cucumber, bell pepper and tomatoes into half-inch pieces.
- Finely slice the red onion.
- Toss the corn, cucumber, bell pepper, tomatoes and onion with salt and pepper.
- Stir the lemon juice and melted butter together. Add to the vegetables. Toss well. Taste. Add more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Toss in the cilantro.
- Serve at room temperature.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.