To the basic polvoron ingredients, crushed Oreo cookies and cocoa powder are added. Cookies and cream polvoron will make a lovely Christmas food gift to loved ones, friends and colleagues.
Why are my cookies and cream polvoron shaped differently? Because we no longer use the tin molds that are traditionally used. Their edges are so sharp that one bad move and you’ll cut your skin. And because the plates inside are not removable, cleaning them is a headache. If that’s not enough to make us stay away from them, they rust so fast too.
So, we have switched to another kind of mold for making polvoron. You may see what they look like in the sweet potato tea cakes recipe in Tasty Safari, my travel and food blog. These molds come in different shapes and sizes. I ordered them online.
But enough about looks. Is the cookies and cream polvoron any good?
Oh, they are lovely. Chocolate-y but not too much to overpower the flavor of the milk. The texture in unbelievably good too! Because of the addition of crushed cookies, the polvoron has less tendency to stick to the teeth.
We didn’t bother wrapping the cookies and cream polvoron individually because they were meant for home consumption. If you want to give them as gifts to friends, family or colleagues for the coming holidays or for any special occasion (or even if there is no special occasion at all!), just cut cellophane squares to wrap them. Don’t forget to chill them thoroughly though before wrapping to prevent them from crumbling.
- Toast the flour in an oil-free pan until lightly browned and nutty in aroma. Cool completely.
- When cool, stir together the flour, milk, sugar, crushed Oreo cookies, cocoa powder and salt in a bowl.
- Pour in the melted butter and mix until well-blended.
- Fill the mold with the mixture. Use the back of a spoon to press the mixture into the mold to make sure it is firmly packed.
- Push the mold handle to release the polvoron.
- Repeat for the rest of the mixture.
- Arrange the cookies and cream polvoron in a single layer in a container. Cover and chill.
- Optionally, wrap individually when well chilled and firm enough to handle without crumbling.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.