The city is full of 24-hour convenience stores and students, especially those living in rented apartments with no decent cooking facilities, love them. My daughters were no exception. But they like Ministop more than 7-11. Alex especially loved Ministop’s Chillz, a coffee or chocolate-based cold drink topped with crushed cookies. So, yesterday, she made her version at home.
Alex used roughly chopped chocolate coated cookies for the topping but there are other similar or not-so-similar options. Oreo, Ferrero Rocher, chocolate-coated wafers, corn flakes, crisp puffed rice — crushed or chopped roughly or finely… Anything goes, really, so long as the topping provides the crispness that makes the cold drink so uniquely exciting.
- Pour the coffee into a mug.
- Stir in the chocolate drink and sugar, if using.
- Add ice.
- Pipe whipped cream on top.
- Sprinkle the crushed cookies on the whipped cream.
- Serve, preferably with teaspoon for scooping those crispy bits.
- If you have to serve the drink with a straw, make it a large one so that bits of cookies that sink to the bottom won't clog the straw.